In this episode we interview Aaron Green, an entrepreneur with many years of experience in the carwashing industry, and the President of Focused Car Wash Solutions. Aaron and David Begin (podcast host) discuss a broad range of topics related to operating a successful car wash business. From mistakes to avoid, to the mindset they believe results in entrepreneurial success.
Aaron Green is President of Focused Car Wash Solutions and recently sold Kwik Car Wash, two exterior tunnel car washes in the Denver area. During his time as President of Kwik, the car washes were named a Top 50 car wash company in 2007 by Modern Car Care magazine and were recently featured in articles by Professional Carwashing & Detailing Magazine in April 2012 and by AutoLaundry News in November 2010. Aaron has served as Vice President and President of the Rocky Mountain Car Wash Association.
Aaron has managed properties for banks and served as a consultant on new construction of car washes and renovations for express and full service car washes. He has taken existing wash sites and turned them around, and started new construction carwashes and advised from start to finish.
Aaron is currently a co-owner of a dry cleaner in Parker, Colorado, in addition to Focused. He lives with his wife, Adrienne, and daughter, Gabi, in Elizabeth, Colorado while his son attends college in Grand Junction. Aaron loves small business and entrepreneur spirits and believes there is an endless opportunity to make money in America if you are willing to try!
- Aaron and David discuss mistakes to avoid when operating a car washing business.
- “The Value of Zero” – Aaron explains this concept for starting and growing a business. Every day you operate below zero profitability, you are running out of time.
- Are you underestimating how much income you need to generate from your car wash business during startup?
- Aaron explains why it’s important to understand and interpret the financial statements for your wash business.
- He explains why you need to be working on your business, and not in your business.
- It’s important to avoid accumulating too much deferred maintenance and it’s also critical to maintain capital improvement reserves for your carwash.
- It’s never as bad, or as good, as you think it is. Aaron shares how he balances these emotional swings to help him successfully operate a carwash.
- “Always remember how hard it was to start.” It will help you later with being realistic and financially conservative in managing your car wash business.
- Aaron and David also discus the future of the carwashing industry, and how to prepare for the inevitable change that your business must adapt to.
- “Education costs money; no matter where you get it.“
- Aaron believes that persistence is one of his keys to success.